"The free play of art is the result of mastery. " --Ernst Fischer, The Necessity of Art

"Children are likely to live up to what you believe of them." --Ladybird Johnson

"...a well-trained ear, a well-trained intelligence, a well-trained heart, and a well-trained hand...." --Zoltan Kodaly

10/3/09

Hey, J,

Sometimes I think that we're 'educating' the life right out of our students.

 You know: school's become far less about learning for life and far more about learning for outside assessment.  No one wants to 'teach to the test", but....

We try not to.  Yes.   We give them projects to do, and spend hours preparing 'hands on' learning activities.  Some of us even incorporate going outside (what? use nature to teach kids?) and movement into each day.

It's not enough.  We're letting our kids starve.  We're feeding them pre-packaged junk food in the form of mass market texts:  brain food created for volume rather than quality.   Then we wonder at the stupor and sleepiness where there should be alert  curiosity.  

I don't know, J.  I don't know how to fix it, systemically.

But I'm starting now, with me: slowing down the pace enough to really listen, to be present with each child's learning process.  Giving them what I know they need--and using the best ingredients I can, to do so.  

Because every meal matters, in helping our kids grow.

No comments: