"The free play of art is the result of mastery. " --Ernst Fischer, The Necessity of Art

"Children are likely to live up to what you believe of them." --Ladybird Johnson

"...a well-trained ear, a well-trained intelligence, a well-trained heart, and a well-trained hand...." --Zoltan Kodaly

3/15/10

Daily Life, 35

Today, in a double-5th grade Music class, while doing the Lindy--everyone was up groovin' around, laughing and generally having a good old time.

Shandra* : Ms N, do we get to do this again?

Me: Yep. Why?

Shandra*: It makes me feel so happy inside! I like it.


In another class, helping Second Graders get their coats zipped up to go outside:

Hendron*: Ms N, my brother's living with us now.

Me: Really?

Hendron*: Yes. My Mom found out that my Dad was bringing my brother to the bar with him, and not giving him enough to eat even though he was hungry.

Me: Hmm.

Hendron*: Yes. She wanted him to come stay with us so that she can spend time with him, too.

Me: Oh. Hmm.

Hendron*: And now I have to wait to get into the bathroom in the morning. But it's OK. He's pretty nice.




*Shandra and Hendron are, of course, not these young students' real names.

No comments: