"The free play of art is the result of mastery. " --Ernst Fischer, The Necessity of Art

"Children are likely to live up to what you believe of them." --Ladybird Johnson

"...a well-trained ear, a well-trained intelligence, a well-trained heart, and a well-trained hand...." --Zoltan Kodaly

4/19/10

Too well-behaved?

I had my once-yearly formal observation today. With one of my energetic 2nd grade classes.

I'd told them ahead of time that I'd asked our Principal to come in and watch them because they were such good musicians...which is true. They are. They also tend to be lively to the point of 'rowdy'.

But today? Today, they were perfectly--I mean, PERFECTLY--well-behaved.

And extremely boring.

Intriguing. The corrollary to their not-always-appropriate behaviour is a ton of energy.

Yep, they are impulsive.

Yep, that sometimes leads to peer-to-peer arguments.

Yep, it sometimes means the class has a little melt-down and I have to stop, calm everything down, and reboot them.

And yep: I'd much rather have 'em that way than the way they were today.

With that 'wild' ness comes blasts of creative energy, bright firing of all those minds, and fun. We ride the ukes/drums/ dancing waves together.

Today, they were so proper and correct that it was completely bland. In fact, I wanted to shake them up a bit (I tried, but they maintained their completely controlled behavior).

Wow.

Kids who are 'rowdy' because they're being creative?

Yes, please.

No comments: