"The free play of art is the result of mastery. " --Ernst Fischer, The Necessity of Art

"Children are likely to live up to what you believe of them." --Ladybird Johnson

"...a well-trained ear, a well-trained intelligence, a well-trained heart, and a well-trained hand...." --Zoltan Kodaly

8/3/10

Adventures in Learning, 4

My hands are greasy.

And I am utterly content.

Today, a teenage friend of mine went down with me to our local co-op bike repair "we'll teach you while you do the work yourself" shop, mostly because I was, frankly, a bit intimidated about going there on my own.

Foolish, but true.

It's a place of beauty. Not sure everyone would see it that way, but for me, those bike repair stations with their orderly rows of tools, exposed brick walls and quietly intent work was an inherently satisfying sight.

What did I learn?

1. It's useful to listen while someone's explaining how to do things, and wait to ask questions until they're done.
2. It's even more useful to speak as little as possible, try to follow the directions, and only ask questions after trying on my own.
3. Repair follows an orderly pattern. Much like cooking and baking: sensible.
4. Bikes are far more user-friendly than I would ever have guessed. Accessible technology (well, at the level of my free-to-me bike, anyway).

I admire people who can fix things (as regular readers may already know). And finally, finally, finally....I'm starting to enter that world myself.

Satisfying.

More tomorrow.

-K

No comments: