"The free play of art is the result of mastery. " --Ernst Fischer, The Necessity of Art

"Children are likely to live up to what you believe of them." --Ladybird Johnson

"...a well-trained ear, a well-trained intelligence, a well-trained heart, and a well-trained hand...." --Zoltan Kodaly

1/21/10

Daily Life, 10

So I was wondering, when I started these 'slice of classroom life' posts, whether kids were actually as funny and interesting as I think they are.

That answer would be: yes.




Today, after school, I was working in my 'classroom'. (My classroom Music space is part of the cafeteria, a space which also houses our great Afterschool program.) Stella* (2nd grade) stood near me and watched as I was preparing materials for class tomorrow.

Stella*: What are you doing?
Me: My homework---getting ready for class tomorrow.
Stella*: You know, you should really go home and get some rest.
Me: Why's that?
Stella*: Well, you gotta teach kids tomorrow!





*Of course, you know that Stella is not this child's real name.

No comments: