"The free play of art is the result of mastery. " --Ernst Fischer, The Necessity of Art

"Children are likely to live up to what you believe of them." --Ladybird Johnson

"...a well-trained ear, a well-trained intelligence, a well-trained heart, and a well-trained hand...." --Zoltan Kodaly

1/29/10

Daily life, 15

So today I was working after school, sorting each grade level's Music Journals, with two fourth grade volunteers helping out. We were discussing whose birthdays were in February.

Kathleen*: Mine's in February, but it's usually not so good.
Me: Really? How so?
Kathleen*: Well, my Dad's usually pretty mad around my birthday.
Me: Hmm...
Kathleen*: Yeah, his sister died the year I was born, but no one expected her to die.
She died the day before my birthday.
Me: Wow, that must've been hard for your Dad.
Kathleen*: Yeah....actually, I don't think he's really mad. I think he's just really
sad, but doesn't want to show it, so he acts mad instead. It's OK, you know?
He does always wish me happy birthday. It's OK.


*Kathleen is, of course, not this kind-hearted child's real name.

No comments: