"The free play of art is the result of mastery. " --Ernst Fischer, The Necessity of Art

"Children are likely to live up to what you believe of them." --Ladybird Johnson

"...a well-trained ear, a well-trained intelligence, a well-trained heart, and a well-trained hand...." --Zoltan Kodaly

2/12/10

Daily Life, 25

Fifth Grade, immersed in Jazz, creating the liner notes for our mini 'album' book reports.**

Larry* says: I recommend Louis Armstrong, who played trumpet, because his music makes me laugh.

James* says: I recommend Louis Armstrong, because his voice is weird, but in a good way.

Jehlan* says: I recommend Ella, Jazz Vocalist, because she makes me happy.

Janita* says: I recommend Billie Holiday, Jazz Vocalist, because her voice is so wonderful!

Mirita* says: I recommend Louis Armstrong, because his music makes me feel real jumpy and it makes me laugh my head off.

Maria* says: I recommend Ella, Jazz Vocalist, because her music makes me dance.


I say, I recommend my students, because they're a joy to be around.

*As written, the names of these young musicians are not, of course, their real names.


**These mini-albums are totally great, easy to do with kids, and an imaginative way to incorporate learning facts and listening to music, with hands-on crafts. I got the entire idea from a great blog called Dudecraft. Here's the link to the instructions for making the albums, along with templates that are available (for free) to download:

www.dudecraft.com/2009/12/how-to-mini-lp-record-gift-tags.html

No comments: