"The free play of art is the result of mastery. " --Ernst Fischer, The Necessity of Art

"Children are likely to live up to what you believe of them." --Ladybird Johnson

"...a well-trained ear, a well-trained intelligence, a well-trained heart, and a well-trained hand...." --Zoltan Kodaly

2/19/10

Daily life, 26

Fifth Grade Music, start of class, kids getting xylophones and mallets and ukes ready to play.


Brian* Ms N, I sprained my neck yesterday.
Me That sounds like it hurt.
Brian* Yeah.
Me Did you want to go to the Nurse? Because we're just about to start the jam session.
I'd rather you didn't miss that, if you can wait to go to the Nurse.
Brian* No, I didn't want to go to the Nurse. I just wanted to tell you about it.
Me Oh. Was there something more?
Brian* Well, yeah. See, I was putting on deodorant last night, and I stuck my head down
into my arm to smell it, and then my neck sprained.
Me Hmmm.
Brian* Yeah, my Mom had to take me to the doctor and everything.
Me Really. Well, if it hurts too much to play an instrument, let me know, OK?
Brian* OK.




Later this morning, in 4th grade, while we were setting up instruments:

Me Alex*, if you continue to tease Sarah* so much, she's going to think you have
a crush on her or something.
Alex* Whaaaaaaa? I don't have a crush on her!
Me Well, you know, that's what they say. If you like someone, you tease 'em a lot.
Matt* (glancing up from his xylophone) Oh, Ms N, that might've been true in your day, but
not anymore.




*Brian*, Alex*, Matt* and Sarah* are, of course, not these children's actual names...or their actual grades.

No comments: