"The free play of art is the result of mastery. " --Ernst Fischer, The Necessity of Art

"Children are likely to live up to what you believe of them." --Ladybird Johnson

"...a well-trained ear, a well-trained intelligence, a well-trained heart, and a well-trained hand...." --Zoltan Kodaly

6/23/10

Daily Life, 59

Activity Day today, last day of school for the kids. Second Grade Dance session.

Jonah* Ms N, are we going to do that kind of dancing that you taught us?

Me Which one? The Lindy shines?

Jonah* No, you know, that other kind. Where we make up our own dance. You know, the indrovise thing.

Me I bet you mean improvisation. Right?

Jonah* Yes, that's it. Indrovise-ing-ation.

Me Well, we sure can make that a part of the dancing today. It's really part of all the dancing we do, you know?

Jonah* I like it. I like how silly the music is, too.

Me Tell me more about the music being silly?

Jonah* Well, you know, it's fun. And it makes me feel silly inside. I like it!





*Jonah is, of course, not this enthusiastic young dancer's real name. (He does happen to be a really good dancer, too...)

No comments: