"The free play of art is the result of mastery. " --Ernst Fischer, The Necessity of Art

"Children are likely to live up to what you believe of them." --Ladybird Johnson

"...a well-trained ear, a well-trained intelligence, a well-trained heart, and a well-trained hand...." --Zoltan Kodaly

12/24/10

Daily Life, 101

Today, in First Grade Music class, a child came up to me with his hand outstretched.

Joey*      Here, this is for you.

Me          Wow, this is a cool rock.  Thank you! But I'll return the penny to you--kids should keep their own money.

Joey*      OK.   The rock is a genuine crystal!

Me         Mmm, I see that.  Very cool--thank you!

At the end of class, the same child came up to me, distraught.

Joey*    I lost my penny! It must've fallen out of my pocket and now I can't find it anywhere.

Me       Well, let's look around a bit.

After a few moments of fruitless searching...

Me      Tell you what, Joey, how about if I just give you another penny? Would that work, or was it a special one?

Joey*    Um....I guess that would be OK.

Me        Hmm, there's no pennies in my change jar.  How about a nickel?

Joey*    How about a quarter instead?


*Joey is, of course, not this budding young financier's real name.

No comments: