"The free play of art is the result of mastery. " --Ernst Fischer, The Necessity of Art

"Children are likely to live up to what you believe of them." --Ladybird Johnson

"...a well-trained ear, a well-trained intelligence, a well-trained heart, and a well-trained hand...." --Zoltan Kodaly

12/15/10

Daily Life, 98

In First Grade Music class today, in the middle of playing with the Beanie Babies (to write the melodies on their Music Staff House, of course)...

Me    Allie*, honey, why are you crying?

Allie*    I miss my Dad.

Me     Mmm.....

Allie*   He works late into the night time, so I'm already in bed when he comes home.  And he's asleep when I leave for school in the morning.

Me     Oh,  Allie.  I can see how that would be hard.

The rest of the kids were very quiet...the empathy in the room was palpable.  The  children sitting near Allie patted her shoulder, and one child mentioned that his Dad worked late, too, and it was hard.

Allie*   I guess I'll be OK.  I just miss him.



Allie* is, of course, not this tender-hearted daughter's real name.

No comments: