"The free play of art is the result of mastery. " --Ernst Fischer, The Necessity of Art

"Children are likely to live up to what you believe of them." --Ladybird Johnson

"...a well-trained ear, a well-trained intelligence, a well-trained heart, and a well-trained hand...." --Zoltan Kodaly

5/2/10

Daily Life, 45

Grade 3, during the 'what do you hear?' section of class, where we listen to various kinds of music. During the open discussion time at the end of the piece:

Shane* What WAS that?

Me Music by Bob Marley.

Jasper* I've heard of that dude. My dad has a bunch of his CDs.

Marly* I like it.

Shane* It doesn't sound like normal music.

Me What do you mean?

Shane* You know, like the stuff on the radio.

Chandra* It depends on what radio station you have on.

Brandon* Ms N, one of our kittens got out of the box last night and crawled under my bed. We couldn't find her this morning.

Annie* Can I go to the bathroom, please?

Shane* Well, I like it.

Jasper* Me, too. It sounds kind of summery.

Brandon* We're going to Darien Lake this summer. My Mom promised.

Chandra* Can we listen to that again?


*Shane, Jasper, Marly, Chandra, Brandon, and Annie are not, of course, these alert young musician's real names.

No comments: