"The free play of art is the result of mastery. " --Ernst Fischer, The Necessity of Art

"Children are likely to live up to what you believe of them." --Ladybird Johnson

"...a well-trained ear, a well-trained intelligence, a well-trained heart, and a well-trained hand...." --Zoltan Kodaly

11/6/10

Daily Life, 90

Well.

I spilled hot tea on my computer the other day.  Luckily, these things are built to take life's daily loads....after some rest & time to dry, it appears to be in hearty working order.

I've been  thinking about something a speaker said at a workshop yesterday.

"Nonviolence is about surfacing the tension that's already there."  --Barry Durfel

The discussion was about closing the gap in groups of students, building community, learning to talk about our differences and learning to find our commonalities.  Celebrating both.

Even just starting on that path will take some courageous discussions and the willingness to extend ourselves beyond what feels comfortable.   

I'm hoping to learn what's missing from my own teaching practice...perhaps that should be, from the way I've chosen to live my life....and to start filling in the gaps, as much as I'm able to do so.

Good stuff.  Hard to do.  Hard to talk about.  But oh....so vital to keeping our communities alive.

No comments: