"The free play of art is the result of mastery. " --Ernst Fischer, The Necessity of Art

"Children are likely to live up to what you believe of them." --Ladybird Johnson

"...a well-trained ear, a well-trained intelligence, a well-trained heart, and a well-trained hand...." --Zoltan Kodaly

11/7/10

Poetry for Kids, 2

OK....here's the thing:  I write poetry.  (I know, many people do.)  I'd like to be able to share my poems with other people...so every once in a while,  I'm going to post one of my poems.

Never fear:  you'll know it's coming, by the post title.

But for those who may just possibly enjoy it, here goes.

Words

I like the sound of words.
I like the crunch and crackle
as they chuckle in my cheeks.
I like their golden glimmer
and their bouncy, bopping beat.
I like the boldness of brave Bee
and the peppery popping of palpitating Pea.
I like the slithery slippery sliding
of Ssss, sneaking softly to silence.
I like the way words wet and gray
drip with rain on a sunny day.
I like their snazzy, jazzy walk.
I like the cuddly cooing of baby-talk.
I like the sound of words.

(Karla, 1980)

No comments: