"The free play of art is the result of mastery. " --Ernst Fischer, The Necessity of Art

"Children are likely to live up to what you believe of them." --Ladybird Johnson

"...a well-trained ear, a well-trained intelligence, a well-trained heart, and a well-trained hand...." --Zoltan Kodaly

10/23/10

Daily Life, 83

All of my third, fourth and fifth grade students are in the process of writing pen pal letters back and forth from a small school in Zimbabwe to here.  (A friend is facilitating this process, at the other school.)
Here's a sample.....

Dear Anneta*,

How are you?  I am just fine.  Thank you for your letter, I liked hearing about your favorite food.
I have 6 cats, 2 dogs and a hamster.  The hamster's name is Petey. 

When I grow up, I want to be a doctor.  I also want to have a farm and to have 16 kids.

Do you like candy?  I like candy corn, sweeties, and Tootsie Rolls.  I'm either going to be a scientist or a princess ballerina for Halloween.

How about you?

your friend,

Shana*





*Shana and Anneta are not, of course, these young writers' real names.

No comments: