"The free play of art is the result of mastery. " --Ernst Fischer, The Necessity of Art

"Children are likely to live up to what you believe of them." --Ladybird Johnson

"...a well-trained ear, a well-trained intelligence, a well-trained heart, and a well-trained hand...." --Zoltan Kodaly

10/26/10

Daily Life, 84

In First Grade Music class today, doing vocal exploration work using a big poster of a decrepit house, complete with ragged black curtains and scary-ish pictures of the 'homeowners' standing at each window.
(Imagine the Adams Family, diluted to grammar school scariness levels...)

Me    Wow, you all sound just like the ghost.  I'm getting scared!

Kids   Really?  You're a scaredy-cat!

Me  Sometimes.

Kids  I'm afraid to sleep in the dark...I sleep with the hallway light on....I'm afraid of monsters under the bed...I think there are big alligators in my closet, hiding behind the blanket pile....I hear scary noises when I wake up in the middle of the night and have to run to my Mom and Dad's room....

Me    Hmmm.....what do you do,when you're scared?

Katie*     Well, I smile at the darkness.  If it thinks I'm not scared, it will probably go bother someone else.

Wow.



*Katie is, of course, not this intrepid, wise young child's real name.

No comments: