"The free play of art is the result of mastery. " --Ernst Fischer, The Necessity of Art

"Children are likely to live up to what you believe of them." --Ladybird Johnson

"...a well-trained ear, a well-trained intelligence, a well-trained heart, and a well-trained hand...." --Zoltan Kodaly

10/29/10

Daily Life

No number on this slice of daily life, because it's from my entire life.

I've been spending quite a bit of time with my (nearly-82-year-old) Mom lately....and remembering how wonderful it was, to grow up as her child.

  She's always had an amazing gift for putting things in a way that made us, as kids, practically salivate to do whatever she was suggesting.  Always seeing it sincerely, but from an angle that most adults don't see.   ("Oh, honey, I think you do such a beautiful job of making your room look inviting.  It's like magic, how you get it so neat and pretty even though it was just all messy all over the place with your toys.  You know what to do!"  etc)  

Any good thing I have when it comes to interacting with children  comes directly from my Mom....so the way she approaches life has had an impact, through me, to literally thousands of children ( I've been teaching a long time, and I teach several hundred children each year).




Makes for some musing about how many people we each have an effect upon, often without even knowing it.


Just sayin'.

No comments: